Heard one of the neighbors playing the clarinet tonight. It sounded like a beginner, probably a high school student but it went very well with the sunset and cool breeze. It reminded me of our neighbor in the San Francisco apartment who would play a Hawaiian guitar in the evenings that was very pleasant and relaxing.
Another letter to my descendants:
In my time, 8.30.2014 an updated version of one of the best television programs ever has been updated and re-released. The show “Cosmos” is the most concise and up to date scientific attempt to enlighten humanity and convince them of the truth about where we came from and what we are.
Unfortunately, even in the year 2014 when my country the USA is filled with universities and places of advanced learning where more people than ever before go to study, a great majority still cannot shake the chains of superstition and magic of organized religion.
Science has made incredible progress but unfortunately scientific discoveries are relatively new and our ‘modern’ religions have a 2000 year old head start. Old habits die very hard and even though these scientific discoveries are freely open to all, many will not accept them if they disagree with their religious beliefs.
If one could step back and look at this situation from afar it is almost quite laughable. These same religions taught that the world was flat until it was proven otherwise. It took centuries to change the popular opinion that the world was indeed, not flat. So here we are today and it would be rather hard to find someone who didn’t consider themselves moderately intelligent yet these same people continue to believe the fairy tales from people thousands of years ago who knew nothing of science who made up stories to explain our existence and place in the universe.
I could go on and on but in order to keep things simple let me offer you this advice:
- Let scientific discoveries supersede any previous beliefs.
- Religion for the most part is nothing more than made up stories and fairytales.
- Spirituality however is not the same as religion. Look inside yourself, see the beauty of everything around you and never lose the sense of wonder at simply being alive.
- Never stop learning and asking questions. Understand that everything you think you know could be completely wrong.
PS: I cannot believe they ran this show on Fox. Fox is the television station for the dumbest people in our population. Science and intelligence is incompatible with the regular Fox viewer, I wonder why they couldn’t find another station.
I decided to keep a record of my favorite quotes in this blog. Here are my favorites so far and I’ll post new ones as I come across them.
- “Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” – Leonardo DaVinci
- “The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page” – St. Augustine
- ” A man who speaks two languages is worth two men” – Spanish Proverb
- “If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough” – Einstein
- “You only know what you’ve been taught” – Unknown
- “How many people there must be in the world who run away from others when they don’t see themselves.” – Lazarillo de Thormes
- “The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing” – Socrates
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king
“Gross National Product does not allow for the health of our children, the quality of their education, or the joy of their play,” he said. “It does not include the beauty of our poetry or the strength of our marriages, the intelligence of our public debate, or the integrity of our public officials.” – Robert Kennedy
Happiness resides not in possessions, and not in gold, happiness dwells in the soul
A life without parties would be like an endless road without an inn
We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality.
Posted from WordPress for Android